Hide menu

General questions

Q: What hours is the university closed?

A: Every day between 11:00 pm and 5:00 am for co-workers and students at all LiU campuses, with the exception of the University Hospital Campus, where the premises are closed between 10:00 pm and 6:00 am.


Q: Why has LiU introduced night-time closing?

A: There are several reasons that the university is closed at night, such as:

  • Night-time closing makes it easier for the campus security service to ensure that only authorised persons are on the premises. This increases the security and safety of those who must work at unsocial hours.
  • The ventilation and illumination in buildings can be reduced when they are closed at night, which is positive both for the environment and our economy.
  • A feeling of insecurity and uncertainty has arisen among co-workers who are on-site early in the morning. They sometimes meet people on the premises, and in some cases these people have spent the night here.
  • Premises that are closed at night remain cleaner, with less rubbish. Night-time closing improves the work environment for those working in cleaning services.


Q: What’s it like at other institutions of higher education?

A: Several institutions of higher education have introduced night-time closing, in different forms. It seems to be a trend that is becoming increasingly common.


Remaining on the premises after closing time

Q: If something unforeseen happens during, for example, an experiment, and I have to remain on the premises when they are closed, what happens if I do not have an exemption for this?

A: Your access card will not function after 11 pm. For this reason, you should not leave your phone, jacket, etc., in a room to which you cannot gain access without passing a card reader. You must also contact the campus security service on 013-285888 and inform them that you need to remain on the premises. 

The best thing, of course, is that you make sure that you have an exemption for future occasions, if you believe that it can happen again. 


Q: What happens if I’m still on the premises after 11 pm? Will I be locked in?

A: You can never be locked in on university premises! The buttons and plates to open doors function as usual. (NB! Do not use the emergency handles for opening doors, since these generate an alarm and the subsequent emergency response costs LiU money. This is the case at any time of the day or night. Emergency door handles are for emergency use only, not for everyday use.)


Q: If I happen to remain late on the premises by mistake, and a member of the security service turns up shortly after closing time – what happens then?  

A: Anyone can make a mistake and remain behind by accident after closing time. Conclude your work, pack your stuff, and just leave the premises.


Gaining access after closing time, without an exemption

Q: If something unforeseen happens and I have to gain access to premises when they are closed, what happens if I do not have an exemption for this?

A: It is possible to use your access card to gain access when the buildings are closed only if you have an exemption. If you require access to premises in an emergency, contact the campus security service on 013-285888.


Q: What about the reception of new students – will that period suffer any negative consequences of the night-time closure? 

A: For student events, it is possible to arrange after-hours access and exemptions when booking premises. The conditions during the reception period at the start of term are rather different from those during the rest of the term, and for this reason LiU will set up a special working group during the spring to consider what access will be required to ensure that the reception activities can be carried out successfully, even after the university has introduced night-time closing. Student representatives will be invited to take part in this.


Q: How can the student societies gain access to the storage areas located in the culverts under the A and B Buildings?

A: During the open period, 5.00 am-11.00 pm, everything will be as before. Access to the storage areas is possible in the same way as access to the culverts. If it is necessary to gain access to the storage areas between 11.00 pm and 5.00 am, (for an arrangement, for example), inform the Room Booking, Examinations and Timetabling Office about this when booking the premises for the arrangement itself.

Thus, it is not possible to gain access to the storage areas when the university buildings are closed, unless it is in association with an event. (For access in special circumstances – see the question above about the reception activities.)

Exemptions to be on the premises when closed


Q: I am a co-worker and need to gain access during the night for a limited period to carry out experiments using equipment that is subject to heavy booking pressure, or that requires night-time monitoring. What should I do?

A: If you know that your work during a limited period will require access to premises during the night, complete an exemption application. Specify the period required, the name of your immediate manager, and which buildings or premises are involved.


Q: How long does the process of being granted an exemption take?

A: It only takes a few minutes to complete the application form (which has been shown by test runs on a small group, where the time taken ranged between 28 seconds and 4 minutes). It will then be processed as quickly as possible by an operator of the safety system. This will take a maximum of three working days.


Q: For how long a period can I be granted an exemption?

A: In general, an exemption will be granted for six months at a time (with starting dates 1 January or 1 July).


Q: Who will approve my application for an exemption?

A: During this initial period in which the system of night-time closing is being introduced, all applications will be automatically approved. For subsequent six-month periods, your immediate manager and the access manager for your operative unit will be involved in granting exemptions. We have chosen to use this process in order to adapt the administrative process to make it as simple and easy-to-use for everyone involved.


Q: The operative unit in which I work has recurring problems with equipment giving alarms. We are a group of colleagues, one of whom must occasionally attend to deal with the fault, which may occur during the night. How can we deal with such alarms if the premises are locked?

A: If you are a member of a working group that may require repeated access to premises for on-call action, the person who is responsible for the action can register exemptions for the complete group of individuals who attend such actions. It may be, for example, that you are responsible if a freezer goes off, or a member of the on-call administrator (TIB) group. Such groups will generally be granted exemptions for a six-month period at a time. 


Q: I am a student and would like to apply for an exemption to be on the premises and study during the night. Is this permitted?

A: A student cannot apply for an exemption to study on the premises between 11.00 pm and 5.00 am. The Properties Division tries to ensure that all courses can be offered premises such that work at night is not necessary. If access is required for study during the night, it is, however, possible for a course supervisor to apply for an exemption for a group or individual. 


Q: If I have been granted an exemption, will my access card open all buildings?

A: No. Your access card will work only for the building and in the area for which the exemption has been granted.


Checking exemptions

Q: How will a member of the security personnel be able to check whether I have an exemption when on the premises at night?

A: The security officer will ask you to scan your LiU Card in a reader. If the card works and the door opens, this confirms that you have a valid exemption. If not, you will be asked to finish what you’re doing and leave the building.


Q: What will happen if I refuse to leave the building and refuse to show my LiU Card to the security officer?

A: The security officer can check whether you have the right to be present on our premises. If you do not want to show your LiU Card (and, if necessary, proof of identity), the police will be called, since they have the right to require you to show proof of identity. So the recommendation is that you cooperate with the security officer when asked to show your proof of identity.


Q: If I am present on the premises under an exemption and believe that someone who does not have an exemption is also on the premises, what should I do? It may be that I don’t have the courage or desire to challenge this person myself.

A: It’s extremely positive that you are vigilant, since this helps to create security in our buildings. Naturally, you will not be required to put yourself in an awkward situation, and you can always contact the campus security service on 013-285888 and pass on your suspicions. The security officer will then take responsibility that a check is carried out, and you can focus on your own work.

Areas and premises used jointly with Region Östergötland (RÖ) 


Q: If some rooms in an area are LiU rooms while others belong to RÖ, can I only use the RÖ rooms if I enter using my E-service card during the night? 

A: The night-time closure concerns complete areas behind card readers. If your card authorises you to enter through a card reader, you are then authorised to be present in the area that the card reader governs, for such activities that are part of your work or tasks.


Q: How can I know which card readers are connected to the LiU system and which to RÖ?

A: Your can check this by testing your access card in the card reader. If the LiU Card opens the door (in the period 5 am-11 pm), this is the door to a LiU room. If the E-service card opens the door, it is a RÖ room. If both cards open the door, it is a jointly used room.


Q: Why do LiU and RÖ have different rules for access during the night? It makes it difficult for me as a co-worker.

A: We understand that working in an organisation that is intimately coupled with another and where the two sometimes have different regulations can bring challenges. But the conditions under which the organisations work differ, and they must take different aspects into consideration when decisions are made and guidelines laid down. Sometimes we manage to coordinate this, sometimes not.


Q: I am on-call for medical purposes (RÖ) during the night and need to pass through LiU premises to move through the building. Is this now no longer possible?

A: RÖ has on-call cards for personnel who must move through the premises rapidly. These will continue to work as normal. 


Q: I have joint employment (RÖ and LiU) with on-call service at night. I normally spend the waiting periods between calls in my LiU office doing LiU work. What should I do now, when the LiU premises are closed at night?

A: Just like everyone else who wants to or needs to work at night, you apply for an exemption by completing an exemption application. Specify the period required, the name of your immediate manager, and which buildings or premises are involved.

Page manager: annevi.fredang@liu.se
Last updated: 2020-02-24