Welcome to the Laboratory safety Manual
The Laboratory safety Manual is intended as a support and tool for all laboratory activities at Linköping University and Region Östergötland (formerly Östergötland County Council, LiÖ)!
If you find something that is incorrect, links that don't work or if you have any questions - please do not hesitate to contact us! The easiest way of contact is by email to the page responsible person, see the bottom of each page.
Region Östergötland and Linköping University operate extensive and extremely varied laboratory activities that require permits, or are obliged to report, in accordance with the Swedish Environmental Code. In addition to the Environmental Code and its associated ordinances and statutes, laboratory operations are governed by a large number of other laws, ordinances and regulations issued by more than ten different government agencies.
Within the framework of the SAMS Agreement, the following manual has been established as operational support. The manual includes legal requirements, regulations and routines as well as interpretation, practical advice and tips on how to comply with legislation and regulations. More about laws and regulation applicable for different areas can be found under the headings to the left. The manual also contains contact information concerning experts and responsible officials, as well as links to other relevant information. This manual will be updated on a continuous basis.
Please note that this Laboratory Safety Manual is merely an information tool – the relevant legislation and government regulations must always be complied with.
If you have trouble opening documents or links - try opening the page (paste the URL) into another browser!
- 2023-06-30: Revised texts on subject pages Biosafety, a new section has also been added here regarding biosecurity. The texts in the section 'Handling of blood, other body fluids, and tissue samples' remain unchanged, only the heading has been modified.
- 2023-06-19: During for example the summer months there may be periods of low activity in laboratories and workshops. Before such periods of lower activity and fewer employees present, there are some important things to consider, see the section on Things to consider before and during periods of lower activity and fewer employees present.
- 2023-06-13: THE LABORATORY SAFETY MANUAL IS MOVING! During the autumn, the pages that make up the handbook will be built up on liu.se. This means that most of the information will continue to be available even for those who are not employees at LiU.
- 2023-01-10: The inventory period for chemical products is open and the inventory will last from 1 January to 28 February 2023. Designated inventory staff have received information via email and the opportunity to register for the KLARA chemical inventory training session. For more information on chemicals management, KLARA and inventory, see section Management of chemicals, KLARA, the chemicals management system.
- 2022-12-22: information on requirements regarding so-called explosive precursors is up-dated, see section Management of chemicals - Permits, reporting and limitations.
- 2022-09-20: information about and links to the new Cooperation agreement - work environment, environment and safety (SAMS)
- 2022-09-08: New text regarding human body fluids and tissue in the Biosafety section.
- 2022-08-26: New text regarding handling of infectious and GMM waste, especially for sending this type of waste from Campus US. Previous routine with instructions is no longer in place, instead updated instructions are found here.
- 2022-08-22: minor updates of text regarding medical check-ups when working with infectious agents
- 2022-08-12: up-dated information om dangerous goods, see section on Dangerous goods.
- 2022-06-29: new information om dangerous goods and procured carriers available at LiU, see section on Dangerous goods.
- 2022-06-23: for operations at campus US - the adress for reporting online to customer support and service has changed to: https://lioappl1.regionostergotland.se/Felanmalan/Webbanmalan/Login.aspx
- 2022-02-21: The period for inventory of chemical products has been extended until 31 March, more information is available in the section on the Chemical Handling System KLARA.
- 2022-02-09: Fire safety training for those who work in a laboratory environment. There are now two new opportunities for staff working in a laboratory environment to learn more about fire protection. The training is carried out in collaboration with the Region Östergötland and the training takes place at the Rescue Service's training field. Read more and register here.
2021-12-22: The upcoming inventory of chemical products will take place during January-February 2022, general information about chemical inventory is available in the section on the Chemical Handling System KLARA. Special information has also been sent by e-mail to those who have an assignment as a chemical inventory staff at departments, divisions or corresponding units at LiU. If you as an inventory staff have not received an e-mail, contact LiU's Chemicals Coordinator, contact information can be found in the section on the Chemical Handling System KLARA.
SAMS - cooperation agreement between LiU and Region Östergötland
LiU and Region Östergötland have collaborated for an extended period of time on many issues concerning education, research and health and medical care operations. The SAMS Agreement is aimed at creating an organisation for collaboration and joint decisions on issues connected to Work Environment, Environment and Safety (SAMS in Swedish). The latest version of the SAMS agreement was implemented in 2022, see more under section Cooperation agreement - work environment, environment and safety or at the Region Östergötland website on research, research strategies and collaborations (in Swedish).
Any questions or views to express on this manual? Please contact:
Hanna Wessman - coordinator Laboratory safety
+46 (0)13-28 1564
The relevant subject pages in the manual include contact information for individuals and competence within each field.
Last updated: 2023-07-21