The instructions below is aimed at co-workers at Linköping University. Students who need remote access, see guides on this page.
When using VPN a tunnel is created between your computer and LiU's network. All traffic that is destined for LiU is sent through the tunnel, and applications running at LiU see the computer as being connected to LiU's network.
NOTE! To access, for example, the File Storage (Fillagret) off campus, you need to connect via VPN. If you have files saved on Onedrive or locally on your computer, you do not need to use VPN to access files.
Two solutions for VPN
LiU has two solutions for VPN, the older Cisco Anyconnect and a newer one that uses software called FortiClient. The older solution does not have the capacity to handle all employees people working from home. Everyone has not yet get the new Fortigate software installed and there may be run-in problems.
SSL-VPN with connection to "remote.liu.se" (port 443).
- Check if FortiClient is installed by looking for it in the Start Menu. The application is also available for installation in MinIT (My IT).
- Guide: Install FortClient VPN outside of LiU (PC)
Manual installation (requires local admin) can be made according to the this instruction.
Manual installation via the Microsoft Store (doesn't require local admin) can be made according to this instruction.
Install FortiClient from Self Service (can be found in the dock or via Spotlight-Search).
Guide: Connect to VPN with FortiClient (Mac)
Most distributions have openfortivpn as packages, documentation is available here.
Some distributions, such as ubuntu, have a plugin that integrates with network manager. See the knowledge base article about VPN on linux for more information.
This service remains available, but does not have enough capacity for all employees. If connections fail, the service is full, so try FortiClient instead.
- The VPN service is activated for your account for all LiU co-workers. If you suspect the service is not activated, please contact the IT Helpdesk for assistance.
- See guides in LiUdesk - click on "Knowledge base" to show all guides on how to install and start.
- Follow the guide suitable for your device.
VPN (Virtual Private Network) is a remote access technology used to create secure connections, so-called tunnels, between two points in an unsecured network such as the Internet.
Last updated: 2020-06-16