New features coming to Teams
(Updated 2020-06-16 09:21)
Many of us are using Teams right now and Microsoft have announced several updates that can be useful for meetings as well as teaching.
Microsoft introduce new features to a few customers at a time and this is what is meant by "roll-out". The date ranges are therefore approximate.
- Adding your own background images and effects in meetings.
- Teams/Skype consumer chat and calling interoperability, i.e. possibility to call to and chat with private Skype users. See more information.
- Download a participant report in a Teams meeting. See instruction.
- Easily access meeting options from within a Teams meeting in progress, for instance changing presenter and lobby settings. See instruction.
- Increasing the maximum Teams meeting call and meeting chat size from 250 to 350.
- Multi-window chat for Teams. A pop-out icon shows when you hoover over the chat.
- Raise a virtual hand in Teams meetings.
- Number of participants that can be viewed simultaneously during a Teams meeting will increase from 4 to 9. Microsoft are working on increasing this limit even further so that more participants can be viewed simultaneously.
- Background effects in Teams meetings. LiU backgrounds in Teams have also been made available for everyone at LiU.
New features rolling out:
Roll-out starting in April
- Polls and checklists in Teams.
Roll-out starting in May
- Users will soon be able to invite a group (Teams and Microsoft 365 groups) or distribution list to a scheduled Teams meeting.
Roll-out starting in June
- Beeing able to view meetings and calls in separate windows. To begin with, this function will need to be activaded by the user under Settings > General > Turn on new meetings and calling experiences. Later on, this feature will be default with te possibility to be deactivated by the user.
Roll-out starting in July/August
- An information pane and the possibility to pin posts in a channel will be added. This way it's possible to show information to members over a longer period of time. It's possible to disable the pin function in the channel's settings.
Features coming soon
- 7x7 video support on desktop (see 49 people at once)
- Only Educators can start the meeting. Students must wait in the lobby.
- Breakout Rooms
Subscribe to IT news
Receive a newsletter for LiU employees 4 times per semester with IT news. The newsletter is in Swedish, but many of the included articles are available in English. Subscribe here!
Latest IT related news
Last updated: 2020-06-16