Designing Meaningful Online Learning
Designing Meaningful Online Learning was a training of trainers course offered by Linköping University as a part of the PRINTeL project. The course was given online in February 2021. This site collects course material for reuse by the course participants.
- Course Description – This document contains the course syllabus and a general schedule. We also tried to summarize the necessary preparations. This was the information that was sent out before the course.
- Reflection Portfolio Instructions – This document contains a description on how to select a topic and the purpose of the portfolio. We included this in the Course Description.
- Reflection Portfolio Template
- Welcome Letter – This was extra information that we sent out a few days before the course, with some reminders and link to Zoom meeting.
- Course Introduction – This is the presentation that started off the first day. Most of the information concerns this particular course and might not be of use to you.
- Community of Inquiry – This presentation is the basis for the film clips that Per Sandén recorded for this course.
- Group Discussions Day 1, Day 2, and Day 3 – These are the questions that we prepared for group discussions.
The following film clips were produced for this course by Per Sandén, and you are free to use them:
- Introduction to Community of Inquiry
- Teaching Presence
- Cognitive Presence
- Social Presence
- Emotional Presence
Here are some additional introductions that we also recommend:
- Introduction to CoI by Emily Hinteregger
- Introduction to CoI by Derek Fullerton
- Introduction to CoI by Thanh Thu Pham
- You can also look at the first 15 minutes of this EDEN seminar where Terry Andersson (one of the persons behind CoI) talks about social presence and interaction in e-learning
We also recommended some additional reading if you are interested in diving deeper into these concepts:
- Norman D. Vaughan, Martha Cleveland-Innes, D. Randy Garrison (2013) Teaching in Blended learning environments: Creating and Sustaining Communities of Inquiry
- Martha Cleveland-Innes, Dan Wilton (2018) Guide to Blended Learning
- Terry Andersson (2008) The Theory and Practice of Online Learning
And of course the central hub for information on Community of Inquiry is https://coi.athabascau.ca/
Last updated: 2021-03-30