Hide menu

Parental leave

The grounds for parental leave can be found in the Parental Leave Act (1995:584). The various forms of parental leave for employees are divided into different groups:

Parental leave must be registered at least two months in advance (where possible) on a special parental leave form and planned together with the employee's immediate superior.

According to the Ordinance (SFS 1984:111) respecting leave of absence, we as government employees have the right to .

Pregnancy benefit

Regarding physically demanding work, female employees can be transferred to a different post with the same benefits. The employee must request the transfer at least one month in advance.

If the employee cannot be transferred, she may be entitled to pregnancy benefits from Försäkringskassan from the 60th day prior to the calculated birth date up until the 11th day prior to it. During the final 10 days, the employee may receive parental benefits.

Pregnant women who work in an environment that may entail a risk to the unborn child also have the right to a transfer and to pregnancy benefit in accordance with these rules.

Parental leave compensation

As a new parent, you can receive parental benefits from Försäkringskassan when you are home with your child. The compensation is a little less than 80 per cent of your salary up to the base amount ceiling. For more information about entitlement to parental benefits, you can visit Försäkringskassan's website www.forsakringskassan.se.

When on parental leave, you will receive parental leave compensation. Parental leave compensation can be paid from the 60th day prior to the calculated date of birth up until the month in which the child reaches the age of eight years at the latest.

If you are a parent who has had twins or are sole custodian, you are entitled to more days of leave, though no parental leave compensation will be paid for these days.

Size of the parental leave compensation

Parental leave compensation constitutes 10 per cent of the current daily pay on salary components up to the base amount ceiling. On salary components that exceed the base amount ceiling, the parental leave compensation is 90 per cent of the daily pay. Parental leave compensation has no correlation to whether or not you receive some form of compensation from Försäkringskassan; instead, all parental leave - with the exception of temporary care of children and days of paternity leave - during the first 360, whole work days will be registered as parental leave with compensation in the payroll system.

Parental leave compensation is paid out monthly in relation to the scope of the leave, for a maximum of 360 whole work days per childbirth. If you have a reduced scope of employment for a reason other than leave with parental leave compensation, the partial day with parental leave compensation counts as a whole day of parental leave compensation.

If you have been on full or partial leave of absence prior to the parental leave, there are special rules for the calculation of parental leave compensation (see Villkorsavtal LiU Lokalt avtal).

Special rules also apply to this calculation if you have been on leave in order to care for a child and become pregnant again before the previous child turns one year and nine months (see Villkorsavtal LiU Lokalt avtal).

Annual leave during parental leave

Leave with parental leave compensation is based on annual leave and you must take at least four weeks' annual leave each calendar year, even when you are on parental leave.

Sickness during parental leave

If you become sick during parental leave and Försäkringskassan pays out sickness benefits instead of parental benefits, you must report this to your employer. In this case, your parental leave is interrupted and you receive sickness benefit instead. You can then use your days of parental leave later. LiU is also responsible for your rehabilitation when you are sick, even when you are on parental leave.

Temporary parental benefit in connection with the birth of a child or adoption

A new father or other parent of the child is entitled to 10 days' compensation in connection with the child's birth or adoption. Rules can be found at www.forsakringskassan.se.

The university promotes fathers' or the other parent's right to be at home with their children on parental leave. The care of children promotes personal development and ability, which is particularly important for managers and teachers. In addition, the university has a greater opportunity to take advantage of its employees' expertise.

Temporary parental benefit for care of children - when your child is ill

When you need to take leave of absence because your child is ill, you receive compensation for care of a sick child from Försäkringskassan, known as temporary parental benefits. The compensation is 80 per cent of your salary up to the base amount ceiling. If your salary is above the base amount ceiling, the University pays out additional compensation for 10 days per year on the amount that exceeds the ceiling. This means that during these days you receive a total compensation of 80 per cent of your salary. These 10 days are added to the 10 days of paternity leave.

You must apply to Försäkringskassan direct (www.forsakringskassan.se) and then submit an application for parental leave to your workplace as soon as possible.

More information can be obtained from Försäkringskassan.

Partial leave without parental benefits - if you want to reduce your working hours

In accordance with the Parental Leave Act (1995:584), you have the right to full leave in order to care for a child until the child is 18 months old and a reduction of working hours to three quarters of standard full-time hours (a six-hour working day) until the child turns eight or finishes their first year of school.

As a government employee, you are entitled to this leave up until the start of the first autumn semester once the child has turned 12.

An application for leave can be made via parental leave application and submitted to your immediate superior at least 1 month before you intend to commence your leave.

If you wish to organise your working hours so that they are concentrated on certain days of the week, you must have this approved by your superior - i.e. it is not a given right; the request will be assessed based on the child's need of supervision and the University's needs in terms of running its operations.

Page manager: pia.rundgren@liu.se
Last updated: 2018-02-01