Hide menu

Coronavirus – frequently asked questions for co-workers 

(Updated 2020-04-01 11:04)

Many students and co-workers have questions relating to the coronavirus. We present here answers to the most frequently asked questions related to LiU. The page will be updated with further questions as they arise. Keep up-to-date, follow the news reports, and make it a habit to check back here regularly.

Work ciritical for society

Q: How can I know if I perform a vital societal function and thus have the right to receive childcare if schools and preschools are closed? 

A: Most of the co-workers at LiU are not covered by the regulations that the Swedish Civil Contingencies Agency (MSB) adopted on 26 March 2020 and that make it possible for a parent or guardian to receive childcare even if the government or accountable authority decides to close schools, preschools, after-school clubs or other teaching activities.

There may be some few functions at LiU that are covered by the regulations. LiU is currently drawing up a list of such functions. If you have not been contacted, but feel in doubt and need an assessment that you can use when in contact with a school, preschool, etc., contact your immediate manager.

As employer, LiU is responsible for assessing whether the operations its employees participate in can be counted as vital for society in the manner specified by the regulations, and whether they are necessary to maintain vital societal functions at an acceptable level.

Contact Region Östergötland if you have joint employment between LiU and Region Östergötland, and are wondering whether the work you do for Region Östergötland can be considered as vital for society in a manner that gives you the right to childcare.

Sickness/sickness notification

Q: What applies when it comes to sickness notification?
A: Read more on the web page LiU:s guidelines. (2020-04-01 11:04) 


Q: How can I know that everyone who is registered for the exam is a member of the course room in Lisam and will be given access to the exam?

A: Check that those who are on the list of registered students in the web-based examination registration system TAL are also registered in the course room in Lisam. If any of the registered students are missing, add them to the Lisam course room. (2020-03-20 13:59)

Q: How can I find out how many have registered for the exam?

A: When the registration period has expired, contact tenta@liu.se to obtain information about the number who have registered and students with special needs. (2020-03-20 13:59)

Q: How can I find out whether any students with special needs have registered?

A: When the registration period has expired, contact tenta@liu.se to obtain information about the number who have registered and students with special needs. (2020-03-20 13:59)

Distance work

Q: Now when I am distance working. What applies to me?
A: We have published a web page with information. This page contains general recommendations for distance working, information about insurance and advice, and support for those who are going to attend or participate in a distance meeting. (2020-03-19 16:42)

Q: Am I covered by an insurance now that I work from home?
A: All employees are covered by a contract that gives compensation in the event of personal injury. This contract functions as insurance, and gives compensation in the event of occupational injury. It is valid also for distance work – on the condition that you and your manager have agreed that the work is to be carried out at home.

It is your responsibility to take out home insurance that will give compensation in the event of, for example, fire or burglary. (2020-03-19 16:42)

Q: Can you give me some advice when distance working? I feel insecure about using the technology.

A: Create a test meeting, invite a colleague to join, and get online before the real meeting, in order to explore the functions. Find out where and how to adjust sound and camera settings, should this become necessary. Sound is important when holding meetings remotely: test with a colleague whether the quality of sound from your unit is OK, and find out how to mute your microphone. In brief: test, test, test. More information:

Q: I have a document that my manager must sign. How can I arrange this in distance mode?

A: Each department, division, office or corresponding organisational unit is responsible for establishing procedures for the reception and signature of documents in distance mode. This may be, for example, that a manager travels to the workplace on certain predetermined days to sign documents that have been left in a prearranged place.

At the moment, LiU does not have established procedures or available technical solutions for secure electronic signatures, but work is ongoing in the Swedish higher education sector to develop these. This would make the process easier in distance mode.

In this context, it is important to point out that our operations continue in distance mode. Thus, for example, the internal post system at LiU is functioning as normal.

The regulations that apply in general for the management of incoming post are laid down by the decision Hantering av inkommande post – riktlinjer och rekommendationer (ref. no. LiU-2009-00697).

Incoming post addressed to an individual, for example, is to be given an arrival stamp but not opened by any other person. It must be forwarded to the addressee. Co-workers for this reason should be encouraged to officially authorise the registrar, their manager, or another person to open mail addressed to them, if they plan to be away from their place of work for a significant period.

External parties should be encouraged to address post, as much as possible, to the department/unit and not to a person. (2020-03-27 15:20)

Q: We have received enquiries for help with materials and premises. What should we do?

A: All enquiries from external bodies, such as Region Östergötland, about help with materials and premises related to the spread of the coronavirus are being coordinated by Irene Rydberg of the Properties Division, University Services. This will ensure that the enquiries we receive are dealt with in a coordinated manner, and that we have the resources needed to meet them.

Send email to irene.rydberg@liu.se with “Corona” in the subject line. (2020-04-01 15:37)

The workplace

Q: Will it be possible to carry out thesis defences as planned? Swedish law states that a thesis defence must be carried out orally and be open to the general public. 

A decision about thesis defences has been taken 2020-03-25.

Q: Can I work from home?

A: LiU has decided to activate distance mode. Co-workers should use distance work. The decision follows recommendations from the Public Health Agency of Sweden, the Swedish government, and the health and medical care services. It means that co-workers who can work at home are to do so, after consultation with their immediate manager. (2020-03-17)

Q: What does it mean when I have to consult my immediate manager, do we have to do it every day?

A: It means that you and your immediate manager should have a continuous dialogue about what tasks you are required to do, and how to stay in touch while working from home. Currently we have to assume that it will be a while before we can get back to working on campus. (2020-03-18 17:09)

Q: I am planning a conference/seminar/meeting. What should I do?

A: Only necessary meetings may be carried out in physical form. You must find alternative, digital, forms for any other meetings, conferences, seminars, etc. These can also be postponed to a later date if possible.


Q: What are the guidelines travel related to work?

A: All travels related to work are canceled until further notice. Meetings can be rescheduled or maybe it is possible to find an alternative form.

Q: I have questions about the cancellation of service-related travel or service abroad, cancellation insurance and insurance for service-related travel. Where can I find information about these topics?

A: More information is available on the LiU travel portal (log in with your LiU ID) 

Q: I am currently undertaking service-related travel or service abroad. Am I covered by insurance for such travel?

A: More information is available on the LiU travel portal (log in with your LiU ID) 

Q: What happens if I’m on service-related travel and can’t return home due to the coronavirus?

A: This is governed by Chapter 10, Section 2 of the agreements on terms of employment (Villkorsavtalen). This means that a salary reduction is not to be made, and that you have the right to subsistence allowance.

Q: What happens if I’m on holiday and kept in quarantine at the holiday location, which prevents me from getting back to work?

A: This will result in a salary reduction, but if you want to count this as further holiday this is possible, according to Section 6 of Villkorsavtalen. You should, however, contact your immediate manager. If, on the other hand, you are a carrier of infection, the legal provisions referred to above state that salary is to be paid, if you can present a doctor’s certificate that confirms that you are, or suspected to be, a carrier of infection. If you can present such a certificate when you return home, your salary will be retroactively adjusted.

Q: I plan to take a holiday. What should I do?

A: With respect to private travel and holidays, we encourage all co-workers and students to consider carefully the journeys taken, both within Sweden and to other countries, against the background of the spread of infection. Keep up-to-date by following the recommendations of the Ministry for Foreign Affairs. Use the link in the right menu. Commuting to and from work or study is currently not affected by the guidelines listed above.

Q: What is recommended if I have family members or close relatives who have recently travelled, or plan to travel, to a region where infection is prevalent?

A: Be on the lookout for symptoms that suggest that you are ill. If you don’t have any symptoms, you can go to work. Stay at home and submit a sickness notification as specified by the LiU procedures if you have any symptoms. Contact the medical care system on telephone 1177 for advice.

Translated by George Farrants


Q: Are the restaurants on campus open? Is it possible to buy food and snacks?

A: The situation might change, but right now the following places are open (2020-03-24 11:25):

Campus Valla: Pressbyrån and Falafelhuset

Campus US: Linds konditori, Pressbyrån, 7-Eleven

Campus Norrköping: The restaurant at Visualiseringscenter C

Q: Am I allowed to be on campus, even though students and co-workers are encouraged to study and work remotely?

A: The campuses will continue to be available, but from 18 March you will have to bring your LiU ID to enter the university premises. LiU:s libraries will be open to the public. (2020-03-17 17:53)

Q: Will the campus library be open?

A: The library opening hours will be reduced with effect from Saturday 28 March and until further notice, due to the risk of the spread of infection of the coronavirus.

  • The libraries at Campus Norrköping and Campus US will be open weekdays 12-15. Closed at weekends.
  • In the Valla library in Studenthuset the circulation desk will be staffed weekdays 12-15“Bokmagasinet” (floor one) is closed to visitors. Books are reserved as usual and will be availible for pick up at floor three.
  • The loan period for reference course literature will be increased from one day to three days. Books borrowed on Fridays must be returned on the following Monday.
  • "Ask us”, the on-line chat function provided by the library, will be open as usual, 10.00 am-4.00 pm.
  • Email support to users, biblioteket@liu.se, will be available weekdays 8.00 am-5.00 pm. 

More information is available at: https://liu.se/en/library (2020-03-26 16:30)

Q: I have borrowed books from the library. What should I do about returning these?

A: With effect from Tuesday 17 March, the library will not charge fines for books that have not been returned, nor will it send out new invoices. This means that anyone who is sick, or is afraid of becoming sick, does not need to come to the library simply to return a book. Existing fines will remain valid, but no new fines will be added. Special rules apply to interlibrary loans. And you may, of course, return books that you have borrowed.  (2020-03-17 15:48)

More information is available at: https://liu.se/en/library

Q: Will the campus buses continue to run, even though students and co-workers are encouraged to work from home?

A: The campus buses run as usual except for the first departure of the day, in each direction, that has been canceled. Double departures has also been changed to single departures.
(2020-03-18 11:12)

Spread of infection

Q: I have heard that someone at LiU has tested positive for covid-19. Is it true?

A: Every student/co-worker can rest assured that the university will never disclose sensitive personal data. This is the case also now: if we gain information that an individual is infected with the coronavirus, we will not publish such information. People who are sick will be cared for by the medical care system. We all have a responsibility to reduce the risk of spread of infection. Anyone who has symptoms such as suffering from a cold, cough, fever, or other respiratory tract symptom, must remain at home. Consider also which social gatherings you participate in – the Public Health Agency of Sweden has encouraged people to be careful, not least in their contacts with older people.

Q: I have been tested for COVID-19. Will I receive salary during the period while I am waiting for the result of the test?

A: Employees who have been tested for coronavirus/COVID-19 are to remain at home until the result of the test is known. If you can work at home, it is permitted to do so. Consult your immediate manager. The collective agreement for government employees (Villkorsavtalet) states that an infection carrier can receive salary if a doctor has decided that the employee must remain away from work or undergo examination by a doctor. A certificate is required from a doctor stating that you are believed to carry an infection or to have been infected by a disease that threatens public health without having lost your ability to work. You may also be entitled to reimbursement of travel costs from Försäkringskassan. This may be the case, for example, if you need to travel to and from a caregiver.

Q: What happens if the preschool or school is closed, and I have to stay at home?

A: If you are unable to work because the preschool or school is closed, you must apply for parental leave, holiday, or leave of absence, following the normal procedures. Consult your immediate manager.

Q: I am very anxious about becoming infected. How is LiU working with the anxiety experienced by co-workers and students?

A: LiU, as employer and institution of higher education, is taking this anxiety seriously. Co-workers should consult their immediate manager, and students should contact the Info Centre. Information and knowledge are important in managing a situation such as the present one with coronavirus. Make sure that you read the information published by, for example, the Public Health Agency of Sweden. A link is given in the right menu.

Q: I have read that soap and hand disinfectant are the best way to combat the coronavirus. Why hasn’t LiU purchased hand disinfectant and placed it in all toilets?

A: LiU has previously decided not to purchase hand disinfectant in the event of an epidemic or pandemic, since this is unnecessary when soap and water are readily available. The latter give effective protection against dirt and dampen the spread of infection. Hand disinfectant can lead to other complications when used too liberally. Furthermore, we must protect ourselves from the risk that hand disinfectant is used for other purposes than the intended.

Q: What is LiU doing about co-workers and students who are considered to be members of risk groups?

A: LiU follows the guidelines and recommendations of the Public Health Agency of Sweden and has for this reason currently decided not to take any special measures for people that are members of risk groups. Remember to wash your hands often with soap and water or use hand disinfectant. Avoid touching your face and eyes. Contact the medical care system on telephone 1177 for advice if you feel anxious.

Q: Why are people not being placed in quarantine in Sweden?

A: Placing a person in quarantine is a radical measure that is very precisely regulated by the Communicable Diseases Act. Since the new coronavirus that causes the COVID-19 disease is now classified as a danger to society, the medical officer in each healthcare region can decide that healthy people may be set into quarantine. It may be a case of placing into quarantine people in a certain building, which can be a residence, a limited part of a building, or a larger area. If a less radical measure can achieve the same result, this must be chosen instead. Such a measure may be, for example, a decision relating to rules of procedure as specified by the Communicable Diseases Act. Source: Public Health Agency of Sweden.


Students are referred to the Info Center

Employees are referred to their immediate manager

You are also welcome to ask questions by sending an email to corona@liu.se

Managers are referred to Joakim Nejdeby, who leads LiU's working group, joakim.nejdeby@liu.se

Frequent asked questions about the coronavirus.


Region Östergötland (the authority responsible for health services)

The Public Health Agency of Sweden

Emergency information from Swedish authorities

Ministry for Foreign Affairs



Page manager: corona@liu.se
Last updated: 2020-04-01