Hide menu

Coronavirus – frequently asked questions for co-workers 

(Updated 10 September 2021)

Starting on 29 September, employees of government agencies who have been encouraged to work from home during the pandemic will return to work on site. LiU is planning a gradual and phased return throughout October. The return is to be planned within each operational unit and in dialogue with the immediate manager.

Here we will collect answers to the most frequently asked questions related to the return on site.


Q: Can I get vaccinated on campus?

A: Yes. It is now possible, for both employees and students, to get vaccinated against Covid-19 on campus. Temporary vaccination centres will be set up on Campus Valla and Campus Norrköping on two Tuesdays in September, 14 and 21, between 3.00-6.00 pm. Personnel from Region Östergötland will be available to vaccinate anyone who drops in. (September 10, 2021)

Q: What does LiU do to make the Covid-19 vaccination easier for co-workers?

A: Feelgood, the company that provides occupational health services at LiU, has reached an agreement with Region Östergötland to provide vaccination during Phase 4 (which is for people aged 18 years and older who have not been vaccinated in the previous phases). This will apply to LiU’s co-workers in Norrköping and Linköping. This means that, together with Region Östergötland's offer of slots for vaccination, you will have more slots to choose from when it's time for you to get vaccinated. If you are offered a slot for vaccination within regular working hours, you should check this with your immediate supervisor. Salary reduction will not be made if vaccination takes place during working hours. (May 7, 2021)

Q: When do I get vaccinated?

A: Region Östergötland schedules the various age groups for vaccination, and provides information about when to book a slot. Once you have received an offer for vaccination of Region Östergötland, you can choose to book a slot either via Region Östergötland (1177.se) or at Feelgood. (June 14, 2021)

Q: Can I get vaccinated during working hours?

A: Co-workers can be vaccinated during working hours, without salary reduction, after agreement with their immediate manager. (May 7, 2021)

Q: I’m pregnant. How should I approach the risk of infection with Covid-19?

A: The National Board of Health and Welfare has stated that the risk of early labour is higher for those infected with Covid-19 during the later stages of pregnancy. Thus, pregnant women are considered to belong to a risk group after week 20. If there is a risk that a woman who is pregnant is exposed after week 20 of the pregnancy to infection by Covid-19 during her work, the manager is responsible for ensuring that an individual risk assessment is carried out (according to AFS 2007:5). Your manager must consider whether it is possible to adapt your work duties, or if it is possible to allow you to work from home. If this is not possible, your manager may prohibit you from working, in which case you can apply for pregnancy benefit from Försäkringskassan. In this case, your manager is to issue a statement relating to relocation, and a form for this is available on the Försäkringskassan website.

If you have any questions, contact your manager or the HR partner at your department or equivalent. (27 April 2021)

Q: What personal protective equipment should I use when carrying out tasks under the auspices of Region Östergötland (RÖ)?

A: A LiU employee who carries out tasks in a care-giving unit of RÖ is to follow the guidelines of the unit with respect to personal protective equipment. This currently means that, when working on RÖ premises, a face mask of class IIR must be worn at all times by all persons present in the care-giving unit (such as a ward, clinic, local healthcare centre or laboratory related to a care-giving unit) and by all persons on premises outside of a care-giving unit where it is not possible to maintain physical distance. (28 January 2021)

Q: What is the situation for a co-worker a member of whose household has tested positive for covid-19?

A: It is always a doctor who decides which precautions to put in place, and these must be followed. Anyone who is affected by the precautions will be contacted by the medical services and be given more information. If you are able to work and can work from home, your salary will be paid as usual. If you are able to work but it is not possible for you to work from home, disease carrier allowance will be paid (Chapter 9, Section 6 of the collective agreements for government employees: Section 12, Point 12.). In order for disease carrier allowance to be paid, a written or verbal certificate or similar is required from the doctor providing treatment, an infectious disease specialist, or an equivalent person from the first day on which it is clear that you cannot work due to the risk of infection. Present the certificate to your immediate manager, in order for your absence to be approved. You must not register your absence in Primula. (2021-04-14)

Q: What protective measures are we taking at LiU to minimise the spread of infection?

A: The measures at LiU are based on the recommendations of the Public Health Agency of Sweden concerning physical distancing, improved hand hygiene with thorough and frequent hand-washing, and staying at home when sick.

The general principle at LiU is to plan activities such that remote methods are used in which all physical contact is avoided, unless the nature of the activity requires physical presence. LiU has ensured that university premises are thoroughly cleaned, and that all surfaces and toilets are cleaned every day. The IT Department is responsible that keyboards in the computer rooms are regularly cleaned.

When it is necessary to be physically present on LiU premises, physical distancing must be observed.

If course components, work tasks or situations arise in which either there is a risk for contact with infection or physical distancing cannot be maintained, i.e. risk-filled components (within laboratory exercises, workshops, studios/drama, computer rooms, Clinicum), the responsible manager must make a risk assessment to minimise the risk of infection. This manager must ensure that the necessary protective measures are taken. These may be, for example, reviewing the timetabling to ensure fewer people present on the premises, the size of the premises, disinfection for open surfaces, barrier protection such as plexiglass screens, personal protective equipment such as protective goggles, visors, protective gloves and disposable aprons, etc. The risk assessment is to be documented in accordance with the LiU template for risk assessment, and is to be shared with the relevant co-workers.

If activities are carried out in which adequate facilities for hand washing are not available, and provided that it is appropriate for the situation, hand disinfectant may be used. Examples are exams and reception activities. LiU maintains, however, that hand disinfectant should not in general be openly available on the premises. This is because hand disinfectant cannot replace the importance of keeping distance from other people, and because soap and water are available and provide effective protection against dirt and reduce the spread of infection. (2020-11-16)


Q: What are the guidelines related to service-related travel?

A: All non-essential service-related travel must be cancelled. All international service-related travel must be cancelled as long as the advice given by the Ministry for Foreign Affairs against travel to that destination applies. (2020-11-05)

Q: I have questions about the cancellation of service-related travel or service abroad, cancellation insurance and insurance for service-related travel. Where can I find information about these topics?

A: More information is available on the LiU travel portal (log in with your LiU ID) 

Q: What happens if I’m on service-related travel and can’t return home due to the coronavirus?

A: This is governed by Chapter 10, Section 2 of the agreements on terms of employment (Villkorsavtalen). This means that a salary reduction is not to be made, and that you have the right to subsistence allowance.

Q: I’m planning to travel on holiday. What applies in this case?

A: LiU encourages all co-workers who are planning private travel, both domestic and foreign, to consider carefully what travel they should undertake, given the risk of the spread of infection. LiU follows the recommendations of the Ministry for Foreign Affairs. Everyone must take responsibility to maintain social distancing, and journeys must not be undertaken by anyone who is ill.

Q: What happens if I’m on holiday and kept in quarantine at the holiday location, which prevents me from getting back to work?

A: This will result in a salary reduction, but if you want to count this as further holiday this is possible, according to Section 6 of Villkorsavtalen. You should, however, contact your immediate manager. If, on the other hand, you are a carrier of infection, the legal provisions referred to above state that salary is to be paid, if you can present a doctor’s certificate that confirms that you are, or suspected to be, a carrier of infection. If you can present such a certificate when you return home, your salary will be retroactively adjusted.

Q: I have just come home from a region with an ongoing infection of coronavirus. What should I do?

A: LiU follows the recommendations of the Public Health Agency of Sweden. If you are not showing any symptoms, you can work as usual. If you notice any symptoms, you should submit a sickness notification and stay at home. If you develop any respiratory tract symptoms such as coughing, breathing difficulties or fever, AND have been in a region with ongoing infection, you should telephone the medical information service on 1177 for assessment and, where relevant, to arrange taking samples. If you have been in close contact with a person who has been diagnosed to have the disease caused by coronavirus, COVID-19, you should also telephone the medical information service on 1177 for assessment and, where relevant, to arrange taking samples.

Co-workers should contact their immediate manager before returning to the workplace, such that the manager can make a risk assessment based on the spread of infection.

Work from home and what applies this fall

Q: How does LiU view working life in the longer term? Will I, for example, be allowed to work from home in the future?

A: We have as an organisation learnt a great deal during the pandemic, and we will benefit from the lessons learned in our future work. The LiU management has tasked the director of human resources, among others, to work during the autumn with a number of questions relating to future working life, in both the short and long terms. One of the issues they will look at is the possibility of continuing to use remote working methods to a certain degree, based on the needs of the operational unit. (2021-06-30)

Q: Should I physically be present and work on campus at the start of the autumn term?

A: At least until the 15 September, only necessary operations will be conducted on-campus at LiU. It is predicted that the recommendation to take further measures to increase the percentage of co-workers who work from home will be removed on that date. “Necessary operations” at LiU are considered to be, among other things, work in labs, exams and on-campus teaching, and the operations that are required to support these operations and activities.

As always, each co-worker is to determine in dialogue with their immediate superior details of how much and when they are to be at the workplace. It is important that when you are on campus that you keep your distance from other people. Further, you must stay at home if you have any symptoms, wash your hands frequently and thoroughly, and avoid large social gatherings.

We will provide information later in the summer about regulations and recommendations in force after 15 September. (2021-06-30)

Q: What guidelines apply to work from home?

A: After consultation with their immediate manager, co-workers are to work from home to the extent that this is possible. The requirements of the operations and the nature of the work determine whether work from home is possible. If you work from home, you may be given the opportunity to work at the workplace alternately, if special circumstances relating to the physical or psychosocial work environment apply. This decision is to be taken after consultation with the immediate manager.

Co-workers who are members of a risk group, or whose household contains a member of a risk group, should, after agreement with their immediate manager, be given the opportunity to work from home as much as possible.

Q: Can I take equipment from my workplace home?

A: You can take your computer, monitor, docking station, mouse and keyboard to your home. This requires that you arrange transport yourself from the workplace to your home and back again when necessary. You cannot take your desk home with you. LiU will not pay for transport, neither can it provide transport. If your situation is such that you cannot work from home, you may continue to work at your normal workplace. Consult your immediate manager.

Q: When I am working from home. What applies to me?
A: We have published a web page with information. This page contains general recommendations for distance working, information about insurance and advice, and support for those who are going to attend or participate in a distance meeting.

Q: I belong to a risk group. What applies in this case?

A: Co-workers who are themselves members of a risk group are, after agreement with their immediate manager, to be given the opportunity as far as possible to work remotely if and when their duties permit. If this is not possible, and you are compelled to refrain from work, you can apply for temporary benefit from Försäkringskassan. This means that anyone who is a member of a risk group and must refrain from working in order to avoid infection can apply for benefit to cover a maximum of 90 days during the period 1 January-30 September 2021. If you have been awarded such benefit, inform your immediate superior. (2021-03-09)

Q: Am I covered by an insurance when I work from home?
A: All employees are covered by a contract that gives compensation in the event of personal injury. This contract functions as insurance, and gives compensation in the event of occupational injury. It is valid also for distance work – on the condition that you and your manager have agreed that the work is to be carried out at home.

It is your responsibility to take out home insurance that will give compensation in the event of, for example, fire or burglary.

Q: I have a document that my manager must sign. How can I arrange this in distance mode?

A: Each department, division, office or corresponding organisational unit is responsible for establishing procedures for the reception and signature of documents in distance mode. This may be, for example, that a manager travels to the workplace on certain predetermined days to sign documents that have been left in a prearranged place.

At the moment, LiU does not have established procedures or available technical solutions for secure electronic signatures, but work is ongoing in the Swedish higher education sector to develop these. This would make the process easier in distance mode.

In this context, it is important to point out that our operations continue in distance mode. The forwarding of the internal post at LiU has been adapted to the distance mode. 

The regulations that apply in general for the management of incoming post are laid down by the decision Hantering av inkommande post – riktlinjer och rekommendationer (ref. no. LiU-2009-00697).

Incoming post addressed to an individual, for example, is to be given an arrival stamp but not opened by any other person. It must be forwarded to the addressee. Co-workers for this reason should be encouraged to officially authorise the registrar, their manager, or another person to open mail addressed to them, if they plan to be away from their place of work for a significant period.

External parties should be encouraged to address post, as much as possible, to the department/unit and not to a person.

Q: We have received enquiries for help with materials and premises. What should we do?

A: All enquiries from external bodies, such as Region Östergötland, about help with materials and premises related to the spread of the coronavirus are being coordinated by Irene Rydberg of the Properties Division, University Services. This will ensure that the enquiries we receive are dealt with in a coordinated manner, and that we have the resources needed to meet them.

Send email to irene.rydberg@liu.se with “Corona” in the subject line.


Conference, seminar, meeting

Q: I am planning a conference/seminar/meeting. So now what should I do?

With effect until 31 July 2021
A: All non-essential physical presence on LiU premises must be avoided. This means the principal rule is that activities, meetings, events with overnight stays, conferences, seminars, trade fairs, visits, and other events must be cancelled, postponed or held using remote methods.

When it is essential to visit the LiU premises, physical contact must be avoided and social distancing must be observed. LiU has taken as a guideline that not more than around 50% of the capacity of a room is to be used, and that seats should be separated by at least one arm length. If possible, a separation of approximately two meters should be used.

Groups that meet physically must not have more people than the recommendation of the Public Health Agency of Sweden for public gatherings. 

With effect from 1 August 2021
A: Physical meetings of more than 50 people indoors are to be avoided until 15 September. Remember that the recommendation to keep at a distance from others remains in force. It is predicted that the recommendation for governmental employees to work from home will be lifted on 15 September, and thus the limit on the number of participants may also be removed. This means that it is possible to plan for larger meetings, conferences, and seminars, etc., with more than 50 participants after 15 September. You must, however, have a preparedness such that the plans can be changed, if necessary.

Sickness/sickness notification

Q: What applies when it comes to sickness notification? And what applies for me belonging to a risk group?


Guidance when infection has been confirmed

Q: How should I act when informed that Covid-19 infection is present at my workplace?

A: Guidelines have been drawn up for how we should manage a situation in which a co-worker states that he or she is infected by Covid-19. In brief, it primarily urges this person to inform LiU (through their immediate manager, for example) on their own initiative. LiU does not actively request this information. The information is handled with great care, as is the case with all medical information, and is subject to professional confidentiality. This means that the information may not, unless expressly supported by legislation, be spread to others by the employer without your express, preferably written, consent. A procedure for contact tracing has also been set up through Region Östergötland. (2020-11-11)



Q: How can I know that everyone who is registered for the exam is a member of the course room in Lisam and will be given access to the exam?

A: Check that those who are on the list of registered students in the web-based examination registration system TAL are also registered in the course room in Lisam. If any of the registered students are missing, add them to the Lisam course room. If you don´t have access to TAL, contact tenta@liu.se.

Q: How can I find out how many students have registered for the exam and whether or not any students with special needs have registered?

A: When the registration period has expired, contact tenta@liu.se to obtain information about the number who have registered and students with special needs.

Q: How can I report results in Ladok when the exam has been changed?

A: See updated information about Ladok at the Ladok för anställda-page


Q: What are the opening hours to LiU premises?

A: Here you find the current opening hours (see heading Access and opening hours to University premises):

Q: Are the libraries on campus open?

A: Information about library opening hours and the borrowing periods is available at the link below.


Students are referred to Info Centre

Employees are referred to their immediate manager

You are also welcome to ask questions by sending an email to corona@liu.se

Managers are referred to Joakim Nejdeby, who leads LiU's central crisis management organisation, joakim.nejdeby@liu.se

FAQ for students.

FAQ co-workers.




Region Östergötland (the authority responsible for health services)

The Public Health Agency of Sweden

Emergency information from Swedish authorities

Ministry for Foreign Affairs



Page manager: corona@liu.se
Last updated: 2021-09-13