Promotion from associate professor to professor
Guide for your application for promotion from associate professor to professor.
A prerequisite for a proficiency test/promotion to an appointment as a professor is that the need exists for an appointment as professor in the subject area in question. A statement from the Head of department confirming the need shall be included in the application.
The subject area for the appointment as professor shall normally be the same as for the appointment as associate professor.
An associate professor with employment for an indefinite period at the university may, following application, be subject to a proficiency test and be promoted to employment for an indefinite period as professor if this person:
- Has demonstrated further development of independence as a researcher or other professional or artistic skill beyond the requirements for appointment as associate professor
- Has been responsible for nationally and/or internationally recognised research
- Has national or international research contacts
- Has, as the principal investigator, applied for and received national and/or international research grants, in competition with other applicants
- Has held the position of faculty examiner/member of an examining committee, external expert, and referee
- Has undertaken teaching activities with a scope of at least 3,400 hours in first, second and/or third-cycle studies
- Has demonstrated teaching proficiency through a variety of activities in education, including planning, practical application (teaching and examination) and evaluation, and has contributed to the development of teaching activities
- Has, as principal supervisor, followed at least one doctoral student all the way from admission to gaining a doctoral degree
- Has shown commitment to the education and research environment by actively contributing to common organisational development and academic discussions at department/faculty/university level
- Has documented the ability to lead (plan, organise and carry out) collaboration with the surrounding society with the purpose of translating relevant research results in a context of education and/or research
- Has undergone the course in teaching and learning in higher education equivalent to 15 credits or is deemed to have acquired corresponding knowledge in some other way
- Has undergone the research supervisor study programme, including the relevant faculty’s part of the research supervisor study programme, at Linköping University (to be included in the 15 credits mentioned above)
The above qualifications should be documented in the CV template.
Submit your application, including your CV, publications list, statement from Head of department, a maximum of 10 publications and the other documents you refer to, in Word or PDF formats, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Scientific publications which you do not have in digital form should be posted to Linköping University, Registrar, 581 83 Linköping, Sweden.
Last updated: 2018-07-10